During UCM's physical campus closure due to COVID-19, ELI services are being offered online.
Whom does the ELI serve?
International and local undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, staff, visiting scholars, post-docs, and international family members. Whether you are a native English speaker who needs help with grammar or an international member of the UCM community wanting to improve your pronunciation, the ELI is here to serve you. Instructors who want support for their students can also request it from the ELI. Click the image below for the PDF poster. Links follow.
What does the ELI offer?
- Weekly Grammar Workshop (fall and spring – for the entire UCM community)
- Weekly Pronunciation & Fluency Workshop (spring only – for the entire international UCM community)
- 6-week Oral Communication Skills for International Scholars non-credit course (fall only – for international graduate students & postdocs)
- Conversation Partner Program (year-round – for the entire UCM community) - Partners are now meeting only online or by phone until COVID-19 social distancing guidelines are relaxed.
- One-on-one appointments to support any language-related challenges, including those related to grammar, writing, pronunciation, presentations, vocabulary, and comprehension (year-round – for the entire UCM community)
- In-class English/grammar/writing-related mini workshops in collaboration with faculty who request them (via email to ELI@ucmerced.edu)
- An English Reources page to help with academic English - check them out!
What else does the ELI do?
- Microteaching language proficiency exams for international TAs at the start of each semester. All 2020-21 microteaching exams are online through Zoom. Next set: Nov. 23, 2020.
- Skype pre-assessment interviews with potential international graduate students each spring
- Random small acts of kindness to help students in need and connect members of the UCM community
How can the ELI help YOU?
Updated Nov. 16, 2020