During UCM's physical campus closure due to COVID-19, ELI services are being offered online.
>>> NOW through June 2020: Sign up for free for the Blue Canoe pronunciation app for your phone. Sign up online by April 12th at https://tinyurl.com/ELI-BlueCanoe. Take a video tour of the program first here.
Whom does the ELI serve?
International and local undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, staff, visiting scholars, post-docs, and international family members. Whether you are a native English speaker who needs help with grammar or an international member of the UCM community wanting to improve your pronunciation, the ELI is here to serve you. Instructors who want support for their students can also request it from the ELI.
What does the ELI offer?
- Weekly Grammar Workshop (fall and spring – for the entire UCM community) - Spring 2020 workshops continue online weekly!
- Weekly Pronunciation & Fluency Workshop (spring only – for the entire international UCM community) - These also continue online weekly!
- 6-week Oral Communication Skills for International Scholars non-credit course (fall only – for international graduate students & postdocs)
- Conversation Partner Program (year-round – for the entire UCM community) - Partners are now meeting only online or by phone.
- One-on-one appointments to support any language-related challenges, including those related to grammar, writing, pronunciation, presentations, vocabulary, and comprehension (year-round – for the entire UCM community)
- In-class English/grammar/writing-related mini workshops in collaboration with faculty who request them (via email to ELI@ucmerced.edu)
- An English Reources page to help with academic English
What else does the ELI do?
- Microteaching language proficiency exams for international TAs at the start of each semester
- Skype pre-assessment interviews with potential international graduate students each spring
- Random small acts of kindness to help students in need and connect members of the UCM community
How can the ELI help YOU?
Updated April 2020