Oral Communication Skills for International Scholars
This is a six-week, non-credit course to help international graduate students and post-doctoral scholars improve their fluency, pronunciation, and understanding of naturally spoken English in the academic context. Class size is limited to 12 persons.
- Improved pronunciation of sounds challenging to each individual (per needs assessment)
- Improved comprehension of natural, rapid speech
- Use of correct patterns of intonation, word stress and sentence stress
- Familiarity with strategies to increase comprehension and comprehensibility
Each week’s class will include 3 elements:
- a speech act (e.g. presentation) by you,
- content about language, and
- tools for you to use (expressions, vocab, tricks, resources)
2020 Course dates, Sept. 21- Oct. 28:
Mondays, 11:00am-12:00pm and Wednesdays 4:00pm-5:00pm
In order to participate, you must be able to attend all 12 one-hour sessions, and do approximately 4 hours of language work each week outside of class. That means checking your schedule for conflicts, and getting assurance to me from your advisor or IOR that s/he will not ask you to miss any of the six classes for other work/meetings.
For more information, click here. This course has begun and is no longer accepting participants.