Who Our Students Are
UC Merced is the most diverse university in the UC system and serves a low-income population.
We are a minority majority school located in an underserved area of California with a large immigrant population.
Some quick facts about UC Merced:
· UC Merced started in 2005
· It is a research student-centered university
· The Fall 2016 student census shows 7,336 students enrolled. There are 6,815 undergraduate students
and 521 graduate students, 90.6% of whom are pursuing doctoral degrees
· UC Merced continues to have a diverse student population. Hispanics are the largest ethnic group (51%),
followed by Asians (21%), whites (11%) and black (5%)
UC Merced official's goal is to reach 10,000 students by 2020, with 1,000 at the graduate level.
About our Undergraduate Population:
· More than half of the undergraduates …
> speak a language other than English at home (71%)
> are first-generation college students (71%)
> come from low-income families (Pell grant recipients) (61%)
· The San Joaquin Valley contributes the largest percentage of undergraduates at UC Merced (30%). Another 30% are from the greater LA area, and 25% from the Central coast and San Francisco Bay area.